Sunday, December 30, 2012

One of the best birthday presents ever

As a birthday gift, Hubs presented me with two tickets to see Wicked at the Fabulous Fox Theatre in Saint Louis. When the day finally arrived, I was so excited to finally be able to go.

It was a rainy mess on December 19 and Hubs suggested we may not want to wear our nicest clothes since we had to walk 5-6 blocks from the free parking garage to the theatre. I gave him a look that said, I'm wearing my new dress no matter what the weather is like, and we dressed up anyway. I wore my Uggs for the fast-paced walk and changed into heels when we got to the theatre.

Windblown and cold, but excited!

Once inside the theatre, I literally just stood and stared at everything. My mouth was probably hanging open. It was one of the most beautiful places I had every been. It was so hard to describe, but modern-day architecture is so plain compared to the ornate intricacy of this theatre. We found our seats on the mezzanine level and tried to take it all in. We thought the lobby was beautiful, but the theatre itself was magnificent. Carvings, columns, intricacies and details that I don't see very often.


Before the show began, we went back into the mezzanine lobby to snap a few photos. There was an area that was well-lit and it was obviously the spot to get your photo taken. My hair was disastrous, but since we rarely never get dressed up like this, we needed to document it. I had bought a dress for the first time since he graduated from dental school. Completely serious about that. We need to do fun things more often!


I was on the edge of my seat for the entire first act; and then, I couldn't wait for the second act to start! When musicals are well done, they are so beautiful. Seamless, exciting and enchanting. I had purposely stayed away from reading anything about the plot so that it would be completely new and it took me on an adventure I didn't expect. I loved the plot, the music and it made me love The Wizard of Oz even more.

It was a late night (waaaaay past my bedtime) and a cold, wet walk back to the car, but it was so worth it. I was still singing the songs in my head the next day and I could go see the show again. It was one of the best gift Hubs has ever given.

The only way he could top it would be a trip to New York City for my big 3-0 birthday in 2013!

No comments: